Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning™, Fourth Edition
Overview: A global screener for assessing large groups of children quickly and efficiently.
Qualification Level: B, Q1, Q2
Age Range: 2:6–5:11
Other Languages: Spanish
RTI Tiers: RTI Level 1
Completion Time: 30-45 Minutes
DIAL-4 provides standard deviation and percentile cutoff points by chronological age at two-month intervals for total and area scores—Motor, Concepts, Language, Self-Help, and Social Development. Percentile ranks and standard scores also are provided.
Scoring Options: In addition to regular manual scoring, online scoring and reporting for the DIAL-4 is now available through Q-global™.
Publication Date: 2011
New features enhance screener’s ability to help predict academic success
As much as you’ve enjoyed using DIAL™-3 for quickly screening large groups of young children, the DIAL™-4 delivers even greater benefits! Updates offer early childhood professionals further advantages with time-saving testing, easier administration, and enhanced reliability.
Users & Applications
DIAL-4 is used by:
- Preschool and kindergarten teachers
- Early childhood specialists
- Child development center personnel
- Head Start program
- Program administrators
Content & Administration
You administer the tool by presenting stimuli one at a time using a dial, manipulatives, and other materials. To give you comprehensive information, DIAL-4 provides scores for all five early childhood areas:
- Motor area: Gross Motor items include catching, jumping, hopping, and skipping. Fine Motor items include building with blocks, cutting, copying shapes and letters, and writing, and a popular fingertouching task.
- Language area: Items include answering simple personal questions (name, age, and sex), articulation, naming (expressive) or identifying (receptive) objects and actions, plus phonemic awareness tasks such as rhyming and “I Spy.”
- Concepts area: Items include pointing to named body parts, naming or identifying colors, rote counting, counting blocks, identifying concepts in a triad of pictures, and sorting shapes. Includes an item that assesses automatic naming of objects, a skill that is associated with potential learning disabilities.
- Self-help development: Looks at the child’s development of personal care skills related to dressing, eating, and grooming.
- Social development: Looks at the child’s development of social skills with other children and parents, including rule compliance, sharing, self-control, and empathy.
Features & Benefits
- New norms to support updated edition
- Lowered floor from 3:0 to 2:6
- New items to measure skills important for predicting academic success
- Reformatted Handbooks and Record Form for easier administration and scoring
- Simplified administration instructions and scoring rules to reduce errors
- Teacher Questionnaire allowing for information from multiple sources
- Easy-to-follow Operator’s Handbooks
- Lightweight, one-piece dials
- Separate zippered bags for the area materials
- Easy-to-use carrying bag
- Teacher Questionnaire—Offers the opportunity for teacher feedback
- Parent Questionnaire—Helps gather information about the child’s health history, background, and development of self-help and social skills
- Report to Parents—Helps facilitate discussion with parents and caregivers about their child’s progress
- Optional Parent-Child Activity Form—Suggests activities parents can use to help their child improve motor, language, concepts, self-help, and social skills
Save even more time with a shortened version of DIAL-4. Speed DIAL is appropriate for quick screening in smaller settings such as departments of public health, pediatric offices, health fairs, homes, and classrooms
Scoring & Reporting using Q-global
Accessible from any computer connected to the Internet, Q-global helps administrators quickly and efficiently:
- Upload child information into the system via a csv file
- Enter raw scores
- Generate accurate reports for individual children or groups of children
- Securely access assessment information
This scoring and reporting system is designed for entering raw scores from the paper based record form only. You will not be able to administer the DIAL-4 online using this program.
Q-global pricing for DIAL-4 is based on a per-report basis that requires the purchase of usages. Usages are available individually or can be purchased as a package with record forms. When you initially purchase report usages, you will receive an e-mail from Pearson with login instructions. After your initial purchase, additional usage purchases will be added to your account and you will be notified by e-mail when the usages are available in the your Q-global account. Once you have purchased a report, you may view the results at any time for no additional cost.
For additional information regarding setting up a Q-global account or ordering usages, as well as details around system requirements and security, please click here.
DIAL-4 Alignment Comparison (PDF - 25.63MB)
Getting Started with Q-global Training Series
View these brief training modules about Q-global
DIAL-4 purchasers can attend 8 training sessions geared toward administration, scoring and interpretation. Attend a session.