Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning, Third Edition
Overview: A global screener for assessing large groups of children quickly and efficiently.
Age Range: 3:0 - 6:11
Other Languages: Spanish
Completion Time: 20-30 minutes; Speed DIAL: 15-20 minutes
Scores/Interpretation: DIAL-3 provides standard deviation and percentile cutoff points by chronological age at two-month intervals for total and area scores—Motor, Concepts, Language, Self-Help, and Social Development. Percentile ranks and standard scores also are provided.
Scoring Options: ASSIST™ software or Manual scoring
Publication Date: 1998
Now Available: DIAL-4
- Fun, age-appropriate tasks keep students involved
- Screens all five early childhood areas: motor, language, concepts, plus self-help and social development
- Optional training video demonstrates item administration
- Use of a station format allows the screening of many children quickly and efficiently
Success in Wichita, KS for DIAL-3
A complete tool for screening preschool and kindergarten children
The DIAL-3 provides a positive, nonthreatening environment essential to effective early screening. Children complete fun, age appropriate tasks using bright, appealing, child-friendly materials. Stimuli are presented one at a time using a dial, manipulatives, or other materials. DIAL-3 uses the same popular station format as DIAL-R.
Screens all five early childhood areas
The DIAL-3, like DIAL-R, provides scores for Motor, Concepts, Language, totals an overall composite, and indicates behavioral observation cutoffs. The DIAL-3 also provides standardized scores for Self-Help and Social Development, assessed by a Parent Questionnaire.
- Motor Area: Gross Motor items include catching, jumping, hopping, and skipping. Fine Motor items include building with blocks, cutting, copying shapes and letters, and writing, and the popular finger-touching task from the DIAL-R.
- Language Area: Items include answering simple personal questions (name, age, sex), articulation, naming (expressive) or identifying (receptive) objects and actions, plus phonemic awareness tasks such as rhyming and I Spy.
- Concepts Area: Items include pointing to named body parts, naming or identifying colors, rote counting, counting blocks, placing a block in named positions relative to a little house, identifying concepts in a triad of pictures, and sorting shapes. The DIAL-3 includes an item that assesses automatic naming of colors. This skill has been shown to be associated with potential learning disabilities.
- Self-Help Development: Looks at the child's development of personal care skills related to dressing, eating, and grooming.
- Social Development: Looks at the child's development of social skills with other children and parents, including rule compliance, sharing, self-control, and empathy.
- Manual and four easy-to-follow Operator's Handbooks: Language, Concepts, Motor, and Speed DIAL. Includes both English and Spanish.
- Lightweight, one-piece dials, separate zippered bags for the area materials, and an easy-to-carry bag.
- Training materials are included. An optional training video also is available.
- Parent Questionnaire provides valuable information about the child's health history, background, and self-help and social development.
- An optional Parent-Child Activity Form suggests general activities parents can use to enhance their child's development in motor, concepts, and language skills.
English and Spanish materials included in one kit
DIAL-3 includes both English and Spanish materials to make it easy to evaluate Spanish-speaking children. Now you have the option of using Spanish to train operators, gather information from parents and children, and report results.
Speed DIAL-Available Separately!
Save even more time with a shortened version of DIAL-3. Speed DIAL consists of 10 items from the 3 childhood areas [Motor, Language & Concepts] in DIAL-3. It takes only 15 minutes to administer and yields one total score. This score's solid reliability and its high correlation with the DIAL-3 total score enable the site to determine whether the child requires further assessment. Speed DIAL is appropriate for quick screening in smaller settings such as departments of public health, pediatric offices, health fairs, homes, and classrooms.
Report to Parents
The Report to Parents is one of the options on the ASSIST™ for DIAL-3. It also is available as a blackline master when hand-scoring.
ASSIST computer scoring
DIAL-3 ASSIST is available on CD-Rom for Windows and Macintosh. Use the ASSIST for fast, convenient scoring.
With DIAL-3 scannable software, data can be exported in a format that is usable by statistical and database programs for further analysis. Call your Measurement Consultant or Customer Service for details. 1-800-627-7271 (7-6 CST)
You may know about ASSIST™ programs and the convenient options they give you for scoring and summarizing test results. You may also have seen the narrative reports they help you generate or the data they prepare for IEPs and interventions.
Optional Training Video
Ideal for training operators, the DIAL-3 video provides an overview of the testing process and demonstrates how to administer the items. Useful for new operators as well as for review.