Expressive Vocabulary Test
Overview: A quick measure of expressive vocabulary and word retrieval
Qualification Level: B, Q1, Q2
Age Range: 2-6 to 90+
Completion Time: 15 minutes
Scores/Interpretation: Age-based standard scores (M = 100, SD = 15), percentiles, NCEs, stanines, and test-age equivalents.
The Expressive Vocabulary Test (EVT) is an individually administered, norm-referenced test of expressive vocabulary and word retrieval.
- Make direct comparisons of receptive and expressive vocabulary with PPVT-III
- Quick and easy untimed administration
- ASSIST scoring software offers a range of reports and scoring formats
Co-normed with the PPVT-III
The EVT and the PPVT-III were standardized on the same population of 2,725 examinees ranging in age from 2-6 to 90+. This co-norming lets you make direct comparisons of receptive and expressive vocabulary. And the national sample was stratified to match the most recent U.S. Census on gender, race/ethnicity, region, and parent or self-education level as a measure of socioeconomic status.
The EVT features:
- Quick administration and scoring
- Untimed administration rules
- Easy-to-follow basal and ceiling rules
- Full-color stimulus pictures
- Portable testing easel
EVT offers easy administration
For the 38 labeling items, the examiner points to a picture or a part of the body and asks a question. On the 152 synonym items, the examiner presents a picture and stimulus word(s) within a carrier phrase. The examinee responds to each item with a one-word answer. All stimulus pictures are in full color, carefully balanced for gender and ethnic representation.
Highly reliable test results
The EVT reliability analyses indicate a high degree of internal consistency. Split-half reliabilities range from .83 to .97 with a median of .91. Alphas range from .90 to .98 with a median of .95. And test-retest studies with four separate age samples resulted in reliability coefficients ranging from .77 to .90, indicating a strong degree of test score stability.
EVT/PPVT-III & Reading First
With such a high reliability and a strong scientific base, EVT can be used to help meet assessment guidelines for Reading First programs. Pearson offers a wide variety of assessments and materials that meet Reading First criteria.
Use ASSIST™ for help in scoring
The ASSIST software program for Expressive Vocabulary Test:
- Converts EVT raw scores to standard scores, percentiles, stanines, NCEs, and age equivalents
- Reports standard score confidence intervals at 68, 90, or 95 percent
- Reports receptive and expressive vocabulary comparisons when a PPVT-III standard score is entered
- Includes vocabulary-building exercises
- Makes group reports available by score, school, grade, or age
- Provides Individual Growth Graph
- Delivers Macintosh and Windows programs on one CD-ROM