Expressive Vocabulary Test, Second Edition
Overview: A measure of expressive vocabulary and word retrieval for Standard American English
Age Range: 2:6-90+ years
RTI Tiers: RTI Levels 1, 2 and 3
Completion Time: 10-20 Minutes
Scores/Interpretation: Age- and grade-based standard scores (M = 100, SD = 15), percentiles, normal curve equivalents (NCEs), stanines, age and grade equivalents, and Growth Scale Value (GSV)
Q-global™ Scoring & Reporting and Manual Scoring
Telepractice: Tips on using this test in your telepractice
Publication Date: 2007
New! Digital Stimulus Book – display visual stimuli on your desktop or laptop. Hotlinks and icons take you to the section of the test you want to administer. Order Now
The EVT-2 test builds on the strength of the EVT—and offers you powerful new features.
Brief and easy to administer, the EVT-2 assessment has been designed to coordinate with the PPVT™-4 (Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test, Fourth Edition) test. Together, these tools give you an unbeatable system for comparing receptive and expressive vocabulary.
Ideal for progress monitoring
Unlike some other measures of vocabulary, the EVT-2 supplies two equivalent forms of the test which contain different vocabulary items—helping ensure the individual has not “learned” the test. One form can be used prior to intervention to assess individuals’ vocabulary knowledge and the alternative form can be used for re-testing to evaluate and document progress. EVT-2 also includes a unique Growth Scale Value (GSV) which is sensitive to small changes over time.
Uses & Applications
The EVT-2 test is individually administered and norm-referenced. It meets the needs of a wide variety of professionals to help:
- Quickly assess expressive vocabulary with a test that requires no reading or writing
- Evaluate English Language Learners’ (ELL) vocabulary acquisition as a flexible measure of
- their English word knowledge
- Make comparisons with receptive vocabulary to pinpoint a student’s strengths/weaknesses
- and identify potential word retrieval concerns
- Move immediately into evidence-based interventions using those embedded directly into and linked into the scoring and reporting software
- Assess oral expression as a foundation of writing skills
- Measure progress using one or both parallel forms
EVT-2 Sample Training Item
Features & Benefits
- Two parallel forms for easier progress monitoring
- Identical administration and scoring procedures to the EVT
- Broader and more mixed use of labeling and synonym item types
- Five levels of diagnostic analysis
- New Growth Scale Value (GSV) for measuring progress over time
- Newly designed, flexible carrying case
- Developed over a five-year period, the EVT-2 test was co-normed along with the PPVT-4 test with a national sample of individuals ranging in age from 2:6–90+.
- More than 5,500 individuals were tested; data from approximately 3,500 subjects were used for the normative scores. The remaining data contributed to the validation studies.
- The sample was tightly controlled and was matched to the U.S. Census on gender, race/ ethnicity, region, socioeconomic status (SES), and clinical diagnosis or special education placement.
- The EVT-2 test provides extremely reliable scores, with reliability coefficients in the .90s for almost every age or grade.
Digital Options Available
Q-global is Pearson's web-based system for accessing digital resources for assessment, scoring, and reporting. EVT-2 has digital stimulus books and a digital manual available for purchase.
Scoring is purchased separately. You have the option to purchase an unlimited-use 1-, 3-, or 5- year scoring subscription or individual score reports. Quantity discounts are available.
Important note: Each scoring subscription is per user and will begin on the date the first subscription from the order is allocated to the user(s) in the Q-global account.
Soon after you place your order, you will receive an email informing you that your EVT-2 digital Manual, Stimulus Book, and/or scoring are available on the Q-global platform.
Other Pearson Clinical assessments available on Q-global include PPVT-4, CELF-5, CELF-5 Metalinguistics, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, and GFTA-3 Spanish. Learn more about Q-global pricing.
All-new scoring and reporting software offers fast, flexible, and accurate scoring and reporting. This tool features:
- New design and layout
- Ability to enter by item scores or by raw scores
- More individual and group-reporting options
- Easier data entry for unlimited students
- Embedded evidence-based interventions for individual, small group, or classroom use
- Score Summary includes the individual’s current scores, a narrative report, a diagnostic analysis of item-level performance, and a separate Suggested Interventions Report.
- Diagnostic Analysis presents item-level performance classified by part of speech.
- Progress Report tracks repeat administrations and helps you monitor an individual’s improvement over time using the new Growth Scale Value (GSV).
- Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report compares the student’s receptive and expressive vocabulary when you are administering both the EVT™-2 and PPVT™-4 tests and analyzes item performance in multiple ways to enhance intervention.
- EVT-2 Individual Score Summary Report: Noah
- EVT-2 Individual Score Summary Report: Samantha
- EVT-2 Individual Progress Report: Samantha
- PPVT-4/EVT-2 Individual Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report: Noah
- PPVT-4/EVT-2 Individual Receptive-Expressive Comparison Report: Samantha
Q-global™ Web-based Administration, Scoring, and Reporting – Enables you to quickly assess and efficiently organize examinee information, generate scores, and produce accurate comprehensive reports all via the Web.
Manual Scoring – Allows you to administer and score assessments by hand
Frequently asked questions follow. Click on a question to see the response.
Page 14 in the EVT-2 manual states, "If a multiple word response contains a correct one-word response, score it as correct, unless the complete response is inconsistent with the context provided by the stimulus question and picture."
Would you simply mark it as correct and move on, despite it being more than one word, or would you mark it as correct and prompt for a 1 word response to try to elicit just a single word?
Follow page 14, yes. Score the item correct (if the context makes sense—see the two examples on that same page in the manual) AND prompt the examinee to “just say one word” as you’re moving on to the next item.
How do I know which PPVT-4 and/or EVT-2 digital option is best for me?
Start with thinking about the technology you have available to you and the technology that you would be most likely to use with your population of students/clients. Then, look down the decision tree (see the “PPVT-4 EVT-2 Testing Options” document under Resources) for your options on the different platforms. For telepractice, you should choose the Q-global system options on the left side of the tree (see more information below regarding telepractice).
What are the pricing options for each digital solution?
Please refer to the individual product page (PPVT-4 or EVT-2) on our website for detailed information on all your options. We offer a “pay as you go” model or bulk purchasing options.
Can I save my report off Q-global?
Yes, you can save your report as a pdf where you are able to cut and paste text into your own larger report.
Does Q-interactive score and report?
Q-interactive offers basic scoring results that are generated directly and immediately from the administration you just completed within the Assess application. When the assessment results are uploaded to Q-central, examiners will be able to view detailed scoring results, individual item responses and all item analyses. Q Interactive does not generate a narrative/summative report.
What if I would like to use PPVT-4 or EVT-2 via telepractice?
The best digital option for you is Q-global. However, you also need to be mindful of your ability to meet all the legal, ethical, and technical considerations that are required for use of assessments via telepractice. For additional guidance, visit Pearson's legal page, www.speechandlanguage.com, or the individual product pages for the assessments you wish to use via telepractice. For consultation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, ASHA's Practice Portal has more and more information on telepractice for ASHA members.
Where can I go for security and compliance information?
Can I “try before I buy?”
Yes, many of our newly-adapted assessments in digital formats have trial offers. Visit the respective product page on our website to learn about specific options for each test or www.helloq.com for additional information.
Do I need to be online (wired or Wi-Fi) for the Q-global Resource Library tools?
Yes. Q-global is an online platform. You will need internet access to view and use the administration, scoring, or reporting options on Q-global.
Can I share manuals and stimulus books on Q-global?
Yes. The account owner on Q-global may purchase one or more copies of any digital stimulus book or digital manual and “assign” these assets to the appropriate users or sub-accounts. The assignments to different members of that account (e.g., in a district or team of professionals) can be changed at any time. So, if you buy 10 PPVT-4 digital manuals for 15 professionals on your team, you may “re-assign” any copy of any manual from one professional to another at any time.
What is the difference between the PPVT-4/EVT-2 ASSIST and scoring and reporting on Q-global?
In terms of the scoring and the types of individual report options, not much. In terms of how the technology works, the ASSIST was CD-ROM based and was tied to a single desktop computer or laptop that had a CD-ROM drive. The Q-global system is web-based and open to any login point from any location or device, any time.
Can I prepay for a quantity of Q-global reports, digital stimulus books, or digital manuals with one purchase order (PO)?
Yes. For PPVT-4, EVT-2, and CELF-5 scoring and reporting, there are volume discounts associated with score reports. You may “stock up and save” depending on the number of scoring/reporting usages that you choose. Digital stimulus books and manuals can also be paid for in bulk. Conversely, you can simply “pay as you go” for any of the digital options shown with no or very little “up front” cost.
Are progress reports, group score summary reports, or PPVT-4/EVT-2 comparison reports still available? What is the pricing?
Yes. All of these reports are available at no charge, once you purchase the individual score summary for a particular PPVT-4 or EVT-2 administration.
What do I do if someone in our district or organization leaves and they have Q-global test administration data or digital stimulus books/manuals assigned to them?
You can de-activate their Q-global account but have access to the test data they completed. For digital stimulus books and manuals, simply go into the “Inventory” tab under Account Management and “de-allocate” or re-assign the assets (i.e., digital stimulus books and/or manuals) to other account users.
Does the Q-global On-screen Administration and Score Report require me to purchase the Q-global stimulus book?
No. The On-Screen Administration (OSA) is the actual administration of the PPVT-4 on the computer, complete with stimulus art and audio prompts. The examinee sits at the computer and takes the assessment, which then automatically uses the basal and ceiling rules and feeds the examinee responses into Q-global scoring and reporting. No data entry for you!
Do you have additional questions?
Don’t hesitate to reach out to your Assessment Consultant or Representative, or email us at: email@example.com.
Two-Minute Talks with Dr. Kathleen Williams
Pricing & Ordering
The Flash drive Kit and individual flash drives have been discontinued. See the Q-global tab for options such as the Digital Manual and Digital Stimulus Book.