The Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing®Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech - Fourth Edition
Age Range: Preschool – adult
Publication Date: 2011
The LiPS-4 (LiPS: Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech, Fourth Edition) provides you with a comprehensive multisensory program that uses explicit, systematic instruction to develop phonological awareness, decoding, spelling, and reading skills. For more than 40 years, the LiPS program has successfully addressed the reading difficulties of a wide range of individuals, including those with functional speech-language delay, second language learning, dyslexia, autism, apraxia, pervasive developmental delay, traumatic brain injury, and stroke.
Content & AdministrationThe LiPS Program steps are:
- Setting the Climate for Learning
- Identifying and Classifying Consonants
- Identifying and Classifying Vowels
- Tracking Simple Syllables and Words
- Basic Spelling and Reading
- Learning Sight Words and Expectancies
- Tracking Complex Syllables and Words
- Multisyllabic Words
- Reading and Writing in Context
To teach sound–letter associations, the LiPS tasks progress from articulatory movement to sound, then to letter. Through guided discovery techniques, clients explore the physical movements involved in producing sounds and learn to hear, see, and feel the physical characteristics of sounds. This in-depth knowledge leads enables the client to understand how words are constructed and to self-correct—essential skills for independent reading and spelling.
Features & Benefits
- LIPS-4 helps address the reading difficulties of a wide range of individuals, including those with functional speech-language delay, dyslexia, autism, apraxia, pervasive developmental delay, and traumatic brain injury.
- LiPS’ use with children in grades K–3 has been shown to significantly reduce the need for remedial reading instruction.
- The program is appropriate for all ages, from preschool to adult.
- LiPS can be used with individuals, small groups, and classrooms.
- A wide array of magnetic manipulatives is included in the kit.
The eight-book set of Phonological Awareness and Sequencing Stories is now integrated into the LiPS program. These 42 appealing stories, organized into chapter books, follow the Vertical Path of sound introduction and use engaging illustrations to give your clients opportunities to practice successful reading.
LiPS Manual with DVD–Fourth Edition
The revised Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech, Fourth Edition Manual provides theoretical foundations, a detailed description of the LiPS Program steps, and outlines and sample dialogue to help students develop phonemic awareness and abilities in reading and spelling.
The main parts of the manual are:
- Introduction to the program
- Identifying and classifying speech sounds by place and manner of articulation
- Simple syllables and words
- Complex syllables and words
- Spelling and reading multisyllable words
- Reading for comprehension
- Spelling in context
A DVD accompanying the manual includes:
- Extensive dialogues, chains, and word lists
- Frequently asked questions
- Audio and visual examples
Phonological Awareness and Sequencing Stories
The set of Phonological Awareness and Sequencing Stories (PAS) is now integrated into the LiPS program. These 42 appealing stories, organized into eight chapter books, follow the Vertical Path of sound introduction and include engaging illustrations to give the students opportunities to practice successful reading.
A wide array of magnetic manipulatives aid instruction in the Program and are included in the kit:
- 15 Mouth picture magnets
- 21 Small colored squares magnets
- 53 Letter magnets and 3 blanks
- 4 Large colored squares magnets
- 60 Syllable magnets
- 11 1/4" X 30" white, tri-fold, magnetic write on-wipe off board
- 64 Playing cards including letters and mouth pictures
- Individual folding mirror