Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised, 2nd Edition
Overview: A world-wide leader for assessing psychopathology.
Age Range: Individuals 18 years and older
Completion Time: 90–120 minutes for the interview section; 60 minutes for the collateral review (20-item rating scale)
Forms: Interview Guides, QuikScore™ Forms
Norms: Percentiles and T Scores for male and female offenders and forensic populations
Publication Date: 2003
Based on more than 10 years of extensive research, the Hare PCL-R assessment has become one of the leading instruments internationally for the assessment of psychopathy. Now, this classic tool has been revised, providing even greater clinical utility through the addition of four new subscores.
The test enables the clinician to determine an individual''s PCL-R ratings on the basis of a semistructured interview and a review of collateral information. The assessment yields a dimensional total score, which can be used to help assess the degree to which an individual matches the prototypical psychopath or to help identify and diagnose psychopaths. Like the original test, the PCL-R: 2nd Edition also includes two primary dimensional factor scores that provide complete coverage of the domain of psychopathic traits and behaviors.
Building on this foundation, the interpretive power of the PCL-R test has been enriched in the 2nd Edition through the addition of two empirically derived and validated facets for each of the two primary factors. The new facet scores help pinpoint specific aspects of psychopathy, further increasing the tests'' usefulness as part of the clinician''s evaluation.
How to Use This Test
The PCL-R: 2nd Edition assessment can be used in institutional, detention, and community correctional facilities, in forensic psychiatric hospitals, and for pre-trial evaluations to help:
- Make a diagnosis of psychopathy based on the individual''s functioning over time
- Support offender management decisions
- Provide solid empirical support for expert testimony
Other Hare tests include:
- Hare P-SCAN Research Version (P-SCAN) Checklist Version
- Hare PCL: Youth Version (PCL:YV)
- Hare Psychopathy Checklist Screening Version (PCL:SV) (Shorter version)
- The PCL-R: 2nd Edition provides highly reliable concurrent, predictive, and construct validity.
- The PCL-R Rating Booklet facilitates rating the 20-item scale and the Quikscore™ Form provides a convenient method for recording ratings, obtaining scores, and profiling results.
- The PCL-R manual provides item descriptions, scoring procedures, extensive reliability and validity information, and normative data, including:
- New large-sample descriptive and validation data for using the test with male and female offenders, substance abusers, sex offenders, African-Americans, and forensic psychiatric clients.
- Percentile and T-score tables for male and female offenders, for male forensic psychiatric patients who have been assessed with the standard PCL-R procedure, and for male offenders and forensic psychiatric patients whose assessments are based solely on file reviews.
|Factor 1:||The callous, selfish, remorseless use of others|
|Factor 2:||A chronically unstable and antisocial lifestyle|
|Facet 2a:||Impulsive Lifestyle|
|Facet 2b:||Antisocial Behavior|