Overview: A global screener for assessing large groups of children quickly and efficiently.
Age Range: 2:6–5:11
Other Languages: Spanish
Completion Time: 20 Minutes
Scores/Interpretation: Speed DIAL-4 provides standard deviation and percentile cutoff points by chronological age at two-month intervals for total and area scores—Motor, Concepts, and Language. Percentile ranks and standard scores also are provided.
Scoring Options: In addition to regular manual scoring, online scoring and reporting for the Speed DIAL-4 is now available through Q-global™.
Publication Date: 2011
Save time with Speed DIAL-4, an abbreviated version of the full DIAL-4 test. The Speed DIAL-4 consists of 10 core items selected from the Motor, Concepts, and Language domains. This abbreviated version can be administered by one operator and takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Users & Applications
Speed DIAL-4 is used by:
- Preschool and kindergarten teachers
- Early childhood specialists
- Child development center personnel
- Head Start program
- Program administrators
Content & Administration
You administer the tool by presenting stimuli one at a time using a dial, manipulatives, and other materials. Speed DIAL-4 addresses the following domains:
- Motor area: Gross Motor items include catching, jumping, hopping, and skipping. Fine Motor items include building with blocks, cutting, copying shapes and letters, and writing, and a popular fingertouching task.
- Language area: Items include answering simple personal questions (name, age, and sex), articulation, naming (expressive) or identifying (receptive) objects and actions, plus phonemic awareness tasks such as rhyming and "I Spy."
- Concepts area: Items include pointing to named body parts, naming or identifying colors, rote counting, counting blocks, identifying concepts in a triad of pictures, and sorting shapes. Includes an item that assesses automatic naming of objects, a skill that is associated with potential learning disabilities.
Features & Benefits
- New norms to support updated edition
- Lowered floor from 3:0 to 2:6
- New items to measure skills important for predicting academic success
- Reformatted Handbooks and Record Form for easier administration and scoring
- Simplified administration instructions and scoring rules to reduce errors
- Teacher Questionnaire allowing for information from multiple sources
- Parent/Caregiver Questionnaire for assessing self-help skills and social-emotional behaviors
Speed DIAL-4 Kit Contents
- Speed DIAL-4 Record Forms - English (50)
- Speed DIAL-4 Record Form – Spanish (1)
- Speed DIAL-4 Operator's Handbook
- DIAL-4 Examiners Manual
- Articulation DIAL –English
- Articulations DIAL--Spanish
- Objects and Actions DIAL
- Copying DIAL
- I Spy Picture
- Alphabet Soup Card
- Rapid Object Naming Card
- 12 Colored Blocks
- Blue carry bag
This pre-recorded 20-30 minute session allows you to learn at your leisure. All you need is access to the Internet and the sound enabled on your computer. Please keep in mind that the session may take a few minutes to load.
DIAL-4 purchasers can attend 8 training sessions geared toward administration, scoring and interpretation.
Past Webinar: DIAL-4 Overview
Presenter: Gloria Maccow, PhD
This webinar will discuss the newly released DIAL-4. Changes from the last edition, and the key features and uses of the DIAL-4 and Speed DIAL-4 will be covered.
Date: Mar 19, 2013