The Early Screening Inventory, Third Edition
Overview: ESI 3 is an individually administered screening instrument that helps identify children who may need special education services.
Age Range: ESI-P Preschool ages 3:0–4:5; ESI-K Kindergarten ages 4:6–5:11
Other Languages: English and Spanish
RTI Tiers: RTI Level 1
Administration: Individual; paper-and-pencil and online
Completion Time: 15–20 minutes per child
Scores/Interpretation: Cutoff scores based on age norms
Manual or Digital scoring
Digital score report, and parent report with intervention recommendations
Complete our Stay in the Know form for updates on the new ESI 3.
Coming later this year!
ESI™ 3 is a revision of the successful ESI™-R, a popular developmental screening instrument designed to be individually administered to children ages 3:0–5:11. It identifies children who may need special education services in order to perform successfully in school.
What’s new with the ESI 3:
- Digital administration, scoring, and reporting
- More content to support social-emotional learning
- Research-based intervention recommendations
- Updated norms and validation studies
Benefits of the ESI 3:
- Popular observation-based approach
- Available in English and Spanish
- Addresses developmental, sensory, and behavioral concerns in the following areas:
- Visual motor/adaptive
- Language and cognition
- Gross motor skills