The Early Screening Inventory, Third Edition
Overview: The Early Screening Inventory, Third edition or better known as ESI-3 is an individually administered screening instrument that helps identify children who may need special education services.
Age Range: ESI-3 Preschool ages 3:0–4:5; ESI-3 Kindergarten ages 4:6–5:11
Other Languages: English and Spanish
RTI Tiers: RTI Level 1
Administration: Individual; paper-and-pencil and online
Completion Time: 15–20 minutes per child
Scores/Interpretation: Cutoff scores based on age norms
Manual or Digital scoring
Digital score report with parent-child activities, and parent questionnaire report.
ESI-3 is now available!
ESI™-3 is a revision of the successful ESI™-R, a popular developmental screening instrument designed to be individually administered to children ages 3:0–5:11. It identifies children who may need special education services in order to perform successfully in school.
- Digital administration, scoring, and reporting
- Or Paper and pencil administration and scoring
- Administration in English or Spanish (in digital and Paper & Pencil)
- More content to support social-emotional learning
- Research-based intervention recommendations in the form of parent-child activities
- Updated norms and validation studies
- Parent Questionnaire: a qualitative questionnaire to capture the primary caregivers' perceptions of the child's development. The ESI-3 Parent Questionnaire, adapted from the ESI-R Parent Questionnaire, has added new items that reflect current research in social-emotional development and adaptive behaviors (e.g., interactions with adults and peers, social communication, and self-help skills)
These features offer the following benefits:
- Assessment approach which uses a combination of direct assessment—completed by a trained professional, and partial indirect assessment—using a parent questionnaire, to supplement the assessment results
- Available in English and Spanish for dual-language settings
- Addresses developmental, sensory, and behavioral concerns in the following areas:
- Visual motor/adaptive
- Language and cognition
- Gross motor skills
ESI-3 is available on Q-global®: Pearson's web-based administration, scoring and reporting system. It enables you to quickly assess and efficiently organize examinee information, generate scores, and produce accurate, comprehensive reports—anywhere, anytime, on any internet-connected device.
Score Report: Online generated report which includes research-based parent child activities
Parent Questionnaire Report: Details responses to the parent questionnaire—a qualitative questionnaire to capture the primary caregivers’ perceptions of the child’s development.
Manual Entry: Option to use paper forms to administer the questionnaires, then use the Q-global platform to score and generate reports.
To share information with your colleagues about ESI-3, we invite you to download or share the following resources.
We want to be sure you are implementing ESI-3 with fidelity, and are here to answer your questions. Please feel free to reach out.
The ESI™-3 Training Package provides a comprehensive package of materials to facilitate the training of examiners to administer the ESI-3 and includes:
- Training videos of live screenings
- Completed Record Forms, drawings, examiner notes, and interpretations that accompany the training videos
- A list of the elements of a successful screening experience
- Handouts and sample materials to support interpretation of results, and communicating results of the screener with families
- Sample agendas for leading training sessions
The training program for ESI-3 covers four main activities:
- Introduction to developmental screening and a review of the contents of the ESI-3 Examiner's Manual
- Description of ESI-3 administration and scoring procedures
- Observation of an experienced examiner administering the instrument, or viewing the training videos and other materials that accompany the manual
- Hands-on practice for all participants, supplemented with additional viewing and scoring of the screenings in the training videos
Getting Started with Q-global Training Series
View these brief training modules about Q-global
From Handwashing to Hopscotch: Developmental Screening 101
Presenter: Gloria Maccow, Ph.D., HSP-P
Most children in early childhood programs perform a variety of tasks with relative ease. They walk and talk, think of a story and draw a picture to illustrate it, interact with peers and teachers, remove and hang up their coats, wash their hands, run and jump, and play hopscotch on the playground. However, there are some children who need targeted instruction and intervention to achieve age- and grade-level objectives.
This one-hour webinar will describe how developmental screening can help to identify those young children who may need early intervening services to perform effectively in early childhood programs. The presenter will use the Early Screening Inventory-Third Edition (ESI-3) to illustrate the types of tasks that can help early childhood educators identify developmental needs of young children.Date: Mar 20, 2019 Time: 12:00 PM EDT Register Now
Through extensive field research and development of the ESI-3, we gathered the frequently asked questions and shared these below.
Have the manipulatives changed from the previous version?
All items remain the same with the exception of the blocks
What do I need to purchase if I am already an ESI-R Customer?
- Age appropriate kit with all manipulatives and forms
Option to add a scoring subscription for manual entry to generate reports
- Manipulatives Kit + Digital manual + Q-global usages
0158245873 ESI-3 Preschool and Kindergarten Manipulatives Kit
0150042981 ESI-3 Q-global Digital Manual
0150023251 ESI-3 Q-global Score Summary Report
015002326X ESI-3 Q-global Parent Questionnaire Report
- Age appropriate kit with all manipulatives and forms
Can I use a combination of paper and digital?
Yes, you can purchase any combination of products. Some customers prefer to have a paper manual, and then purchase digital administration usages