Wide Range Achievement Test, Fifth Edition
Now available on Q-interactive!
Try digital testing from our current assessments free for 30 days! Learn more
Overview: The WRAT5 measures and monitors fundamental reading, spelling, and math skills.
Age Range: Individuals 5–85+
Administration: Paper and pencil or Q-interactiveⓇ
Completion Time: Approximately 15-25 minutes for ages 5–7 and 35–45 minutes for ages 8 and up
Scoring Options: Hand scoring, Q-globalⓇ or Q-interactiveⓇ
Publication Date: 2017
Measure foundational academic with the WRAT5
The WRAT5 provides an accurate and easy-to-administer way to assess and monitor the reading, spelling, and math skills in people aged 5–85+ and helps identify possible learning disabilities.
- Test learners of all ages using the same assessment
- Screen individuals or small groups (with some subtests) to help identify those requiring a more comprehensive academic achievement evaluation
- Administer only the subtests that are needed
- Administer with paper and pencil or digitally with Q-interactive
- Digitally score and report using Q-global
- Efficient completion time—test can be completed in as little as 15 minutes for younger children and as little as 30 minutes for older children and adults
- Simple administration rules and clear scoring guidelines, contributing to accurate and timely data
- Grade-based start points, simple reversal rules, and clear discontinue rules
What’s new in WRAT5
The WRAT5 is upgraded with data reflecting current populations based on recent census information. Updates include:
- Improved identification of learning disabilities
- Streamlining of rules
- Digital administration, scoring, and reporting
- Subtest improvements
WRAT5 Test Structure
The WRAT5 provides scoring and reporting for four subtests:
- Word Reading measures untimed letter identification and word recognition. The examinee reads aloud a list of letters/words
- Sentence Comprehension measures the ability to identify the meaning of words and to comprehend the ideas and information in a sentence using an untimed modified cloze procedure. Each item requires the examinee to read (aloud or silently) a sentence with a word missing, and then say the word that best completes the sentence
- Spelling measures an individual's ability to write letters and words from dictation without a time limit
- Math Computation measures an individual's ability to count, identify numbers, solve simple oral math problems, and calculate written math problems with a time limit. Problems are presented in a range of domains, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and advanced operations
- A Reading Composite score is created by combining the Word Reading and Sentence Comprehension standard scores
WRAT5 and Wide Range are trademarks of Wide Range, Inc.
Now available on Q-interactive!
Try digital testing free for 30 days! Learn more
WRAT-5 Informational Webinar
A short informational webinar providing an overview, administration and scoring options and other features and benefits of the WRAT5.
WRAT5 on Q-interactive
Presenter: Gloria Maccow, PhD, HSP-P and Jarett Lehner
WRAT5 is now available on Q-interactive! Join Dr. Gloria Maccow and Jarett Lehner as they provide insights on the enhancements to the WRAT5 including digital administration, improved identification of learning disabilities, streamlining of rules, and subtest improvements. Bring your questions as there will be time for a Q&A session.
Date: Jan 29, 2018
WRAT-5: Overview and Applications
Presenter: Adam Scheller, PhD
This will be a one hour webinar focused on an overview of the new edition of WRAT, including a discussion about applications in practice.
Date: Aug 29, 2017
Frequently asked questions follow. Click on a question to see the response.
How is the WRAT5 different from the previous edition?
New norms. Updated with new data reflecting current populations based on recent census information
New data to support the identification of learning disabilities
- Ability Achievement Discrepancy Analysis
- Pattern of Strengths and Weaknesses (PSW) Analysis
- Validity studies targeting LD reading and LD math
Streamlining of rules. Grade based start points and simple reverse and discontinue rules
Digital administration, scoring and reporting
- Addition of Q-globalⓇ scoring: Helps you quickly and efficiently organize examinee information, generate scores, and produce accurate, comprehensive reports.
- Addition of Q-interactive administration and scoring: A comprehensive digital system that can be used to administer and score the complete WRAT5.
- Math Computation now covers a wider range of domains
- Sentence Comprehension includes new items, grade based start points, and simple administration rules
- Early Word Reading items include both uppercase and lowercase letters
- Updated sentences for administering Spelling words
Is there training available on the WRAT5?
Yes, there are two webinars currently available on the WRAT5 Pearsonclinical.com site located here
- WRAT5: Informational Webinar
- WRAT5: Overview and Applications
What are the scoring options for the WRAT5?
What are the administration options for the WRAT5?
WRAT5 administration is available with paper and pencil or Q-interactiveⓇ
To learn more about Q-interactiveⓇ, visit HERE
Do I still need to purchase any paper forms when I use Q-interactive with the WRAT5?
Yes, response booklets are required when administering the Spelling and Math Computation subtests of the WRAT5 on Q-interactive.
Please use purchase code QNTRWRAT5KIT. It includes 25 Blue Response Response Booklets and 25 Green Response Booklets.
Can I get access to any digital content for the WRAT5?
As a new purchaser of the WRAT5 Kit or the WRAT5 Norms Book with Digital Norms Access, you will be able to access the WRAT5 digital content on the Q-global platform, free of charge, once it becomes available.
The WRAT5 digital content will be available in the Q-global Resource Library, in the WRAT5 Restricted Folder.
Existing Q-global customers should contact Pearson Customer Service at 800.627.7271 to add the WRAT5 digital components to your account. Please reference WRAT5 digital items numbers 31455 and 0150021089.
New Q-global customers should contact Pearson Customer Service at 800.627.7271 to create a Q-global account and add the WRAT5 digital components to your account. Please reference WRAT5 digital items numbers 31455 and 0150021089.
WRAT5 on Q-interactive at a Glance:
|Available With||Subtest Pricing||Scoring and Reporting||Materials Needed|
|Standard, Academic, Classroom, & Experiential Licenses||Score Report
|View Pricing & Ordering and open the Q-interactive section for Materials|
*Cost per usage between $1.00 and $1.50 depending on volume discounts
Benefits of WRAT5 on Q-interactive
- Create custom batteries by combining subtests from the WRAT5 with ability measures such as the WISC-V.
- Engage children by displaying stimuli on the iPad
- Standardize administration with automated basal and ceiling rules.
- Automatically generate score reports, including ability-achievement discrepancy and patterns of strengths and weaknesses analyses with the WISC-V and WASI-II.
- Obtain scaled scores immediately after finishing a subtest, to increase speed and accuracy.
How Can I Buy WRAT5 on Q-interactive?
Current Q-interactive customers:
If you want to add the WRAT5 to your account, visit our online order form and select the "Add Test(s) to Existing Account" option. You may also call Customer Support at 1-800-627-7271.