Dyslexia Screening Instrument
Overview: Identify whether a student has specific characteristics of dyslexia.
Age Range: Children 6:0-21:0 years old; Grades 1-12
Completion Time: 20 minutes or less
Publication Date: 1994
Practical and efficient, the DSI measures a cluster of characteristics associated with dyslexia and discriminates between those who have the cluster and those who do not.
Users & Applications
- Screen large groups of students
- Helps you meet the requirements of IDEA 2004 and state guidelines
- Use with individual students who have reading, spelling, writing, or language processing problems
Content & Administration
- Consists of 33 statements to be rated by the classroom teacher using a five-point scal
- The teacher uses a single tear-off sheet from the Record Form to rate the student’s behavior on each statement
- Use the scoring program software to quickly obtain results
Features & Benefits
- Classifications are based on classroom teachers’ observations and ratings so you receive an “in the moment” view of the student’s skills
- Ideal for use with assessment of cognitive abilities and academic skills to determine where academic difficulties might be occurring
- Data from 386 students were collected and analyzed for the DSI; 103 students from this group were participants in a dyslexia program
- Internal consistency reliability coefficients for elementary (.99) and secondary (.98) students are very high. Inter-rater reliability is also high for both groups (100% and 97% agreement on classification category, respectively).
- Diagnostic accuracy rating for all students was above 98% accurate.
Computer Scoring (CD)
- Enter demographic information and item rating scores into the scoring program and within moments obtain a Pass, Fail, or Inconclusive classification.
- You may also enter text into a Comments section in the scoring program to highlight any general behavioral or referral information that is appropriate.
- The Comments section text will appear in the final report, which you can view and print at any time.
- You may also export the report to a word processing-compatible file, which you can then use in a larger report as you may need.