The Bridge of Vocabulary 2: Evidence-based Activities for Academic Success
Overview: Explicit, research-based vocabulary intervention activities tied to academic standards
Administration: Digital (but also printable) on Q-global
Completion Time: variable per activity
Publication Date: Coming in December!
Cite this product as: Montgomery, J. (2019). The bridge of vocabulary: Evidence-based activities for academic success (2nd ed.). Bloomington, MN: NCS Pearson.
The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 is a completely digital, evidence-based set of vocabulary activities designed specifically for both general and special education professionals. Interventions can be purchased for 5 different age and/or skill appropriate ranges — over 125 activities in all!
Use The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 :
- To provide targeted instruction and interventions for all students in a classroom setting, students with language and learning disabilities, students with complex communication disabilities, and across all service delivery models
- To collaborate with other disciplines in vocabulary development, essential to listening, speaking, reading and writing success
Relying on proven techniques
Authored by Dr. Judy Montgomery and reviewed and tested by classroom teachers and SLPs, The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 furnishes explicit teaching instructions in each activity, grounded in an easy-to-understand goal statement and literature references as the link to scientific evidence. Links to academic standards help anchor vocabulary intervention to curricular outcomes. This easy-to-use tool employs strategies grounded in solid research, such as activities that:
- Help specialists, teachers, and parents systematically plan explicit word encounters
- Encourage fast mapping
- Provide extended exposure to vocabulary
- Demonstrate phonotactic probability and neighborhood density, two important factors in vocabulary growth
- Incorporate student-friendly definitions that use spoken vocabulary words instead of reading vocabulary words
The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 offers the only explicit vocabulary intervention tool tied to evidence-based research and curriculum standards and developed for both general and special educators to use collaboratively!
Useful with a variety of student populations
The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 is designed to supply professionals with the resources they need to create linguistic environments that will allow all students to succeed as listeners, speakers, readers, and writers. The activities can be used with:
- ELL students
- Students with language and learning disabilities
- Students with complex communication disabilities
- Typical elementary and secondary students, including low and high achievers
A framework for success
The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 applies a list of “Top 10” strategies shown to be essential in teaching vocabulary skills to general and special education students:
- Four Types of Vocabulary
- Tier 2 words
- Dense Neighborhoods
- New Concepts
- Word Categories
- Word Consciousness
- Levels of Knowing
- Word Meanings
- Student-Friendly Definitions
The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 , all together, has 127 activities across five grade or level groupings: preschool and kindergarten, lower elementary, upper elementary, middle school, and advanced practice.
This valuable resource targets a full range of vocabulary skills and concepts, including:
- Listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Language processing of nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and prepositions
- Antonyms and synonyms
- Classification & Categorization
- Word parts (prefixes, suffixes, and roots)
- Compound Words
- Using Words in Descriptions
- Meaning and usage
- Word play
Why Digital-Only for The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 ?
Each grade or level grouping is purchased and accessed using Pearson’s Q-global system (in the Resource Library). Q-global accounts are free! Materials can be used on any device, can be printed, and have links embedded in the Table of Contents for each grouping for faster searching.
Almost 500 pages of content comprise this second edition. Why worry about losing a book or CD or forgetting it in one place when you need it somewhere else? With the Q-global Resource Library, you always have it with you!
Frequently asked questions follow. Click on a question to see the response.
Two-Minute Talks with Dr. Judy Montgomery
Pricing & Ordering
Note: The Bridge of Vocabulary 2 is a digital-only product and can be easily used on any device through the Q-global Resource Library. Pages from each set of activities may also be printed as needed.